Sickle Cell Disease and Pregnancy

Also called to sickle cell anemia, sickle cell disease affects around 50 million people worldwide. In France, it is considered as the main disease of genetic origin, with 15 000 to 20 000 patients followed and known, and including 450 cases of newborns per year.
What is sickle cell disease?
Sickle cell disease is a serious hereditary disease characterized by an abnormality of hemoglobin. In practice, this A hemoglobin in red blood cells of a healthy individual is replaced by hemoglobin S or hemoglobin sickle cell in the sick person. The red blood cell is so distorted and cannot flow in small blood vessels, blocking the delivery of oxygen. The person feels very severe pain, as well as sensitivity to infections, anemia, respiratory failure and a vaso-occlusive crisis.


This disease is common in individuals from Caribbean, sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East, the Mediterranean basin and India. For WHO, the sickle is fourth in the list of priorities for global public health, just behind cancer, AIDS and malaria.
Relationship between sickle cell disease and pregnancy
Sickle cell disease is an inherited disease, two parents who are carriers of the disease to expose their child to more risk. In such a case, there is 25% chance that it is sick, 25% it is healthy and 50% it is only the bearer. Since 1999, it is however possible to detect sickle cell disease in the newborn child before the first symptoms appear.
Moreover, if a woman suffers from this disease, and she plans to become a mother, it is important to know if his partner is a carrier of the gene. Where both parents are carriers of the sickle cell gene, they can request a screening special to find out if the fetus is also affected. However, sickle cell disease should not be an impediment to motherhood. It is important only that the couple subject to frequent medical follow-up, including the pregnant woman and the baby in the making.

 

Gallery

Sickle Cell Disease in Pregnancy

Sickle Cell Disease in Pregnancy

Source: slideplayer.com

Sickle Cell Disease in Pregnancy

Sickle Cell Disease in Pregnancy

Source: slideplayer.com

Sickle cell disease

Sickle cell disease

Source: www.slideshare.net

Cardiff & Vale University Health Board

Cardiff & Vale University Health Board

Source: www.cardiffandvaleuhb.wales.nhs.uk

Anemia in Pregnancy

Anemia in Pregnancy

Source: www.slideshare.net

Sickle cell disease

Sickle cell disease

Source: www.slideshare.net

PPT

PPT

Source: www.slideserve.com

Sickle cell disease

Sickle cell disease

Source: www.slideshare.net

Sickle cell in pregnancy

Sickle cell in pregnancy

Source: www.babycentre.co.uk

Anemia in Pregnancy

Anemia in Pregnancy

Source: www.slideshare.net

Hyperemesis Gravadium

Hyperemesis Gravadium

Source: slideplayer.com

PPT – ANAEMIA IN PREGNANCY PowerPoint Presentation

PPT - ANAEMIA IN PREGNANCY PowerPoint Presentation

Source: www.slideserve.com

Health & Family Welfare Department Gandhinagar, Gujarat …

Health & Family Welfare Department Gandhinagar, Gujarat ...

Source: slideplayer.com

PPT

PPT

Source: www.slideserve.com

Sickle Cell Disease

Sickle Cell Disease

Source: basicmedicalkey.com

Management of Sickle Cell Disease in Pregnancy

Management of Sickle Cell Disease in Pregnancy

Source: www.slideshare.net

Sickle Cell Disease | Disease of the Week

Sickle Cell Disease | Disease of the Week

Source: www.cdc.gov

Sickle Cell Disease & Acute Chest Syndrome (ACS) – Fact …

Sickle Cell Disease & Acute Chest Syndrome (ACS) – Fact ...

Source: scdaa-e-store.myshopify.com

Sickle cell disease. Causes, symptoms, treatment Sickle …

Sickle cell disease. Causes, symptoms, treatment Sickle ...

Source: drugline.org

PPT

PPT

Source: www.slideserve.com